Thursday 8 March 2018

Applying to be an Astronaut - Space for Humanity

I've entered a fair few competitions in my life and I've never won any of them until last year when I won NASA's Message To Voyager competition to get a message sent into space on behalf of humanity, which isn't a bad one to win! Winning that competition gave me a lot of confidence and taught me that I could achieve anything. It was an honour to be chosen first for the shortlist by NASA and then to win by the public. It was amazing to be supported by the National Autistic Society here in the UK and fantastic to show what people with Asperger's and Autism can achieve.

So when I stumbled across this opportunity from Space for Humanity, to actually become an astronaut, my life's dream, well I had to enter.

With my dyspraxia, asthma and lack of ability in the maths department I could never actually be an astronaut with a space agency and finding myself in financial difficulty at the moment (and if I hadn't) I'd never be able to afford a ticket on a space tourism flight.

I'd love to become an astronaut not only for personal reasons but also as I have Asperger's Syndrome I'd be be one of the first Autistic people to be an Astronaut, raising awareness for the Autistic community and I'd also love to communicate with the general public what astronauts call the "overview effect", the effect of seeing the Earth from Space, showing us all how precious and fragile our "pale blue dot" is and how it must be cared for, which is very prescient in modern times.

You can check out my application video below. If you can, please give it a like and share it and this blog post to others. Who knows, maybe the sky isn't the limit!

Ad Astra.


No comments:

Post a Comment